Starting from Fall 2019, Dialogue Society will visit senior homes to engage the 65+ community in various fun activities and meaningful discourse.
About the Program
We are seeking enthusiastic students who want to gain outreach experience, build leadership and communication skills, and have a positive impact. Benefits and rewards upon successful completion of the program include:
- One quarter: Silver Certificate & Dialogue Society T-shirt
- Two quarters: Gold Certificate & Dialogue Society Merchandise
- Three quarters: Platinum Certificate, Graduation Cord, & Letter of Recommendation from our Faculty Advisor
- Must be willing to use Slack to communicate with the entire team and respond within a timely manner.
- Must be willing to be responsible and give a week’s notice if you are unable to complete your responsibilities.
Book Club Requirements
Dialogue Society holds a virtual, biweekly book club that occurs on Wednesdays from 4:30 to 5:30.
Selected applicants will also be required to host two book club meetings per quarter. Every month focuses on one book, with the first meeting covering the first half of the book, and the second meeting covering the second half of the book. Members are expected to host one meeting that covers the first half of the book and one meeting that covers the second half of the book. As a result, the minimum requirement is to read one book and a half. However, it is strongly encouraged to support fellow Dialogue Society members by attending the book clubs they host.
Selected applicants will collaborate in a group to prepare activities for presentation to a senior living home at the end of the given quarter. The Dialogue Society outreach committee will guide and assist with all preparations and training. The requirements for successful completion of the program are:
• A minimum of one-quarter commitment to the program.
• Participation in all three preparatory meetings in each quarter (~1 hour each, on-campus).
• End-of-the-quarter participation in the visit to the senior living home (~2 hours total).
Depending on the circumstances, this event may be hosted online. Please see our website for types of online events that have been hosted by Dialogue Society in the past.
The requirements listed above are subject to change given COVID-regulations.
Because of this highly invaluable opportunity, we are accepting only a small number of volunteers at this time. If you are selected, we will contact you to set up an interview. Interviews will be held on a rolling basis.